In order to work with faculty in different disciplines as closely as possible and to provide as high a level of customization of approaches and methods as possible, we offer department-specific workshops, which focus on the teaching and learning of writing that is specific to a department or discipline.
We offer departments workshops on a wide range of topics, which include assignment and course design, assessment, paper load management, and others. For more information about these customized workshops please schedule a consultation with us. Our work on departmental projects tends to be cyclical.
- A department or unit contacts us with an interest in the development of a writing-related instructional project. These projects can range from a revision of an existing writing assignment to a creation of a new one, to assessment, and so on.
- We conduct a series of consultations (needs analysis), either face-to-face or by e-mail with the faculty members in an effort to better understand their needs, affordances, and constraints. During this stage of a project, we work with faculty members to articulate their goals, objectives, and needs clearly
- Based on the needs analysis, we propose steps or activities to the faculty designed to help them achieve their goals.
- Faculty members work on the project, after which we typically conduct another round of consultations and discussions.
- Faculty revise and fine-tune the deliverables of the project and pilot them in the classroom.
- We meet again to discuss how well the project has worked so far and what adjustments need to be made to the deliverable and/or to the teaching methods.